What We Are: Oghma Creative Media is a traditional publisher reaching out to authors who don’t want to take the self-publishing route. We provide a team of editors, designers, and marketers to help bring your work to its finished form. Our goal is to develop long-term relationships with our authors and artists.
What We’re Looking For: We welcome any form of original fiction and non-fiction. We have several imprints that can be a home for your work. We want to tell good stories and share those stories with others.
We don’t strictly adhere to a specific word count. The final count is somewhat dependent upon the genre. Romances may start around the 40K word range, while some other genres will hover near the 90K to 100K range. A work will not be rejected based upon the word count alone. However, it costs money to bind books, in addition to time and resources to edit the work and get it ready to print.
What We Pay: We’re a traditional publisher. We pay royalties—a percentage of sales after production costs. Our royalty split is 60/40 (60% for Oghma, 40% for the author) across the board for all formats: e-book, hardcopy, etc. For subsidiary rights—motion picture, television and other dramatic reproductions including, but not limited to web series and stage performances, etc.—that split reverses to 40/60 (40% for Oghma, 60% for the author).
What Rights We Give To You: Our standard contract covers the right to publish the story through one of our imprints. We request several additional rights: translation, serial, audio, dramatic reproductions, and the inclusion of the Work (including as a selection or shortened) in Oghma-branded anthologies. Our standard contract is for three years from the date of publication.
How To Submit Your Work: At this time, we only accept electronic submissions of any kind. Please send the entire manuscript, with a cover letter and a one-page synopsis of the work. The cover letter should be mainly information about yourself and who referred you to us. Other information should include (but is not limited to) why you wrote the manuscript and the genesis of the idea for the manuscript.
- The manuscript should be submitted as .doc, .docx, .rtf, or plain-text attachments.
- Put “SUB:” at the start of the subject line, along with the imprint you believe your story will fit under (for instance, science-fiction and fantasy submissions will be classified under the Fleet imprint, while literary submissions will go under Liffey).
- The one-page synopsis needs to be the basic summary of the story, all the major plot lines, and the major character (or characters).
- Your email should include your name and manuscript word count. We will let you know that your manuscript has been received, but expect up to three months or more for our editors to review a manuscript.
- If you have questions about your submission, or need to make a change (like a different email address, change of name, or you sent us the wrong file), put “QUERY” at the beginning of the subject line of the email.
- If for any reason you need to withdraw your submission, please email us as soon as possible with “WITHDRAW” at the beginning of the subject line.
- Send the e-mail to: email@example.com
If you’re one of our established writers within the Oghma family, though, and you have a new idea, please contact Publishing Director Gordon Bonnet, Deputy Publishing Director Michael Frizell, Editorial Director Gil Miller, or Development Director George “Clay” Mitchell.